Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ramblings I

Ramblings I

On: Humorous Humans

The University is a very interesting place. For one thing, everyone walks around (not as I do, with my nose in a book*) with their nose in their cellphones; to quote a friend, all plugged in. It was interesting to observe said University students simultaneously remove their cellphones and start texting while waiting for class to start. Would-be friends pass by, Interesting observations slip by unnoticed, and I can't help thinking of how quiet the room is, how foolish we are to let our lives slip by. In that short moment friendships could be forged, or the mind enriched, or something worthwhile done. It amuses me that people 'plug in' to kill time, because in my mind, they're killing would-be memories. People at The University are surprisingly immature- they would rather text than talk. They are content with their lives...or not willing to risk change. Like goblets already full, they miss the best wine** because their cups are full of water.
Children too, are much the same way. Many attempts at friendship on my part have fallen flat because the other person is too content to care. There is simply no need, no urge to make yet another friend, when one is happy and content, one thinks not of the future or anyone else.

-Shhh...

*I do walk around with my nose in a book. I have had some near accidents and quite a few 'what the h***' looks from passerby's.
*For us non alcoholic chocaholic-prone types, missing the Ovaltine 'cause you're drinking lukewarm water. Insert your own noun, whatever makes more sense. It's just that wine sounds more archaic that Ovaltine; it puts you into the 'wise proverb' mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment